Cambridge Technology Law LLC is a Cambridge/Boston-area law firm specializing in creating business value from your intellectual property. We provide legal services and strategic counseling to start-ups, global corporations, individuals, and universities, helping our clients optimize the strength of their intellectual property portfolio and minimize legal exposure. We apply our decades of legal experience to helping you to achieve business objectives through targeted legal and strategic advice. We support technology transfer, strategic alliances and monetization. We translate your ideas into intellectual property (patents, trademarks, copyrights) that create value for your business.
- We specialize in software (the more complex, the more value we can add) and inter-disciplinary systems (such as medical devices, medical imaging, robotics, and electro-mechanical equipment) that combine engineering disciplines such as mechanical, electrical, software, and materials engineering.
- We’ve represented investors, acquirers, and competitors, so we know how to structure your intellectual property to maximize value in the eyes of those that matter to you.
- Our attorneys have many years of experience as in-house counsel in billion dollar firms, and in law firms:
- overseeing portfolio management
- licensing intellectual property into and out of companies
- buying and selling IP
- buying and selling companies based on IP value (mergers/acquisitions, divestitures, and IPOs)
- forming strategic alliances to maximize the value of intellectual property
- counseling to minimize legal exposure and to achieve business objectives.
- Administrative law, Patents and Trademark Appeals Board (PTAB) trials and Federal Circuit appeals: We consult to law firms under the administrative law to ensure that the PTAB fairly considers argument and evidence, to obtain more favorable standards of review.
- Administrative law, rulemaking: During agency rulemaking, we consult to operating companies and trade organizations to ensure that regulations reflect the public interest.
Unlike most patent law firms, all of our lawyers have been in-house counsel, in the trenches, balancing needs of multiple stakeholders within the company. We’ve been embedded with the engineers—some of us were practicing engineers—participating in the R&D strategy, building corporate value to build value through intellectual property that complements the product, and vice-versa. We understand how technology is developed and exploited in a company.
We know how to do more than just bill you for a patent, we help you build your business. We help you build in options, and avoid hazards. We’ve got first rate legal technical skills too, but more importantly, the business environmental experience to translate those legal skills into business value.